12/4/09

The Whole Gospel is Outside of Us



At that point I really feared that Christ’s terrifying words “Depart from me, I never knew you” might be for me. And there was nothing I could do about it. I was a Christian, but a poor excuse for a Christian. I looked at my life and everything I did was tainted with sin. Even the best works I did were tainted with sin. My heart was desperately wicked and I did not love God with all my heart. And worst of all, there was something inside me that hated God, that had contempt for Him. How could I possibly be saved?
Maybe I was fooling myself about being a Christian. The lives of true Christians kept getting better and better, and I felt as though mine was getting worse and worse. My “growth in holiness” and in love for God was supposed to assure me that I really was a child of God. But I did not see this. All I saw was sin. And I despaired that the salvation offered in Christ was really for me. Salvation was for people who really believed. And I was not sure I really believed. How could I be a true believer when I continued to sin and sin and sin and abuse the grace of God? How could I be a true believer if everything within me is sin?
Above is a sample from some very interesting posts at "New Reformation Press". It is a three part series. I have posted the links below. Enjoy!

The Whole Gospel Is Outside Of Us - Part 1
The Whole Gospel Is Outside Of Us - Part 2
The Whole Gospel Is Outside Of Us - Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment